New “Sound-Symbol-SCORE Design” for Children’s Permaculture Stories. New Myths #59 & #60
Q&A from Production –
Willi: Obviously this is an experimental collaboration. What makes it difficult for you as interpreter / composer / musician?
Geoff: There are so many ways different ideas can be expressed, words and photos mean so many different things to people. I think my own interpretation is going to be quite individual as I have my own creative process that I have built up over the years, for better or worse it guides me, filters me and gives me all the ups and downs that it seems to feed off.
Willi: What’s a “bad sound?”
Geoff: A bad sound is a sound that is just ugly, it’s too hot and is digitally distorting, it’s too bright, or it contains ugly frequencies. A bad sound you just want to get away from. A sound can be aggressive and up front, but not ugly, and you like it, you accept it. You can’t accept a bad sound.
Willi: Are you painting with sound?
Geoff: Yes. In this case dabbing the canvas and trying to be careful, then going over that, then splashing it on, then slashing away. I feel like Jackson Pollock.
* * * * * * *
Enjoy Two New Works using “Sound-Symbol-SCORE Design”:
+ Jump – Look – Jump [ New Myth #59 ]
+ initiation @ nine finger canyon [ New Myth #60 ]
* * * * * * *
- The base image and driver for this work is the “SCORE” – a background image that holds the elements and support documentation for each piece
- This is a multi-media, whole brain approach
- Kid friendly (text, pictures, etc.)
- Visual / sound / text for Universal messaging
- Formal language independent
- A new process to produce new Nature stories and Myths
- Uses free, bundled software tools (iMove/Movie Maker & Audacity)
- Alinear creative approach
- Project Theme can be determined at start of project or built by initiation
- Joseph Campbell’s initiation, journey and hero are important design guides